Road Trip!


All packed and ready to go.

I know I've only been back from my last trip for two months but since I'll be home all summer I decided to squeeze in a road trip along the Pacific Coast. My sister and I take turns being in town for our 91 year old mom and she is leaving soon to spend three months on the east coast. I'm going to take some time away while I can!
The purpose of this trip was to take pictures, see new places, revisit places I haven't seen since the 60's and spend some time with friends. I took hundreds of pictures and it was hard to pick just a few to share. OK...maybe I picked more than a few. 
I hope you enjoy my photo journal.

DAY 1 - drove 348 miles

Westport, WA - my first view of the Washington coast.

Longbeach, WA - It's raining, and the sand is steaming,
but for the rest of the trip I had wonderful weather.

A first - I crossed the 4.1 mile long Astoria bridge. And halfway across the sun peeked out.
Welcome to Oregon!

The wreck of the Peter Iredale. Some of it has disappeared since I saw it last.

I got to Seaside, OR in time too see a beautiful sunset.

DAY 2 - drove 318 miles

The view of Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock from Ecola State Park.
My husband and I came here often when we lived in Oregon.

Boiler Bay

Depot Bay, OR - home of wonderful salt water taffy!

Yaquina Head Lighthouse
Many years ago Dad took a picture of us kids in its spiral staircase.

Seal Rock

Looking south from Cape Blanco. The 2nd most western point in the lower 48.

Cape Blanco Lighthouse.

DAY 3 - drove 276 miles

The beautiful southern Oregon coast.

Crescent City Lighthouse
I found it by accident and that happened often on this trip.
I felt God's hand guiding me the whole way!

'Big Tree' along the Newton Drury Scenic Parkway in the
Redwood National Park.
This tree is 286 feet tall with a circumference of 74.5 feet.
It is estimated to be 1500 years old!

Almost got wet along the jetty in Eureka, CA.
Had a long lunch with Cabo friend Gus and he gave me a tour of the area.

Evening near Fort Bragg.

DAY 4 - drove 185 miles

Jug Handle State Reserve

Point Cabrillo Lighthouse. I think this has turned into a lighthouse road trip!

Mendocino, CA

At the Point Arena Lighthouse. I got to climb this one!

Lens of the Point Arena Lighthouse.

View from the top of the lighthouse.
I was outside and it was very windy so I'm surprised the picture isn't blurry.

I could see Mt Tamalpais from my bedroom in San Francisco.
Thank you Lynn!

DAY 5 - drove 320 miles

Pacific Grove, CA
I don't think I could afford to live in one of those houses...

The Monterey Peninsula

Point Pinos Lighthouse
It wasn't open so I took this picture through the locked gate.

Lone Cypress on the 17 Mile Drive - right next to Pebble Beach!

Mission San Carlos Borromeo del rio Carmelo
Also known as the Mission at Carmel by the Sea.

Even though Hwy 1 was blocked by a landslide I made sure I saw some of Big Sur.

My view at lunch at Rocky Point Restaurant near Notleys Landing.

DAY 6 - drove 281 miles

I started the day with a tour of Hearst Castle.


On a clear day you can see forever...

The Neptune Pool is under repair.
It was built without a liner and was loosing 5000 gallons of water per day!

The dining room.

The billiard room

The indoor pool

It was a special treat to have lunch in Cayucos, CA with Pat and Don.

Morrow Rock

Mission Santa Barbara
Then it was on to Huntington Beach to have dinner with Lise.

DAYS 7 & 8 - drove 182 miles

San Juan Capistrano

San Juan Capistrano


San Diego was as far south as I had time to go...this trip.
But I was sure tempted to head on to Baja!
Got to see Candace, Seth, Jerry and Pina while I was there.

Old Point Loma Lighthouse

Shelter Island Marina

DAYS 9 through 12 - drove 1402 miles

Now it's time to head north up I-5.

But first a quick stop to see the house where my family lived in '62 - '63.


Parts of Central California remind me of eastern Washington.

Mount Shasta is huge!

Along the way home I got to see Cindy, Lyndi, Dennis, Eli, Jim, Julene, Jim and Audrey.
And next time I'll get to see Kay!

The purpose of this trip was to photograph a lot of the Pacific Coast
from Canada to Mexico...and I almost did it!
At the start of the trip I was within 40 miles of Canada
and in San Diego I was about 15 miles from Mexico.

Now it's time to start planning another road trip.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Month in Loreto

My Laos Journey

Sailing to the Revillagigedo Islands